The port to C++ for Win32 and then iOS took about 60 hours. As with Zombie Outhouse, I used Instant C++ to port the C# to C++ which took about a minute. The rest was all manual labor. Monstercraft runs on the same bioroid enhanced version of the bork3d engine that was used for Zombie Outhouse so it uses a custom C++ XNA style layer to ease the process.
There were a few parts of the port which I felt took too long and need to be optimized for the future.
The Power of Game Balancing by Automating Benchmarking: 12,100 for the price of 1
While we haven’t officially announced our next game, it has been in the prototyping phase for the past few years and has been constantly evolving, devolving and mutating into completely different beasts. Here is a peek into the development process for our upcoming game.
Without giving away any details, we finally settled on a workable game mechanic and needed to test and balance the various powers in the game. I added a CPU vs CPU mode (just like there is in Street Fighter 4) which ran real time and most matches lasted about 5 minutes. This was great for one-offs but for it would take far too long to properly benchmark all the various powers against each other.