The port to C++ for Win32 and then iOS took about 60 hours. As with Zombie Outhouse, I used Instant C++ to port the C# to C++ which took about a minute. The rest was all manual labor. Monstercraft runs on the same bioroid enhanced version of the bork3d engine that was used for Zombie Outhouse so it uses a custom C++ XNA style layer to ease the process.
There were a few parts of the port which I felt took too long and need to be optimized for the future.
Zombie Outhouse Development Part 6: To the iPad and beyond!
[Just like a zombie, this blog is back from the dead. Apologies for the neglect. I got derailed a few times but am back on track. There will be a flurry of posts over the next few weeks to catch up on the backlog and then we’ll focus on an upcoming action rpg project.]
Soon after the iPad came out, I wanted to upgrade Zombie Outhouse to add native iPad support using the higher resolution art that was used in the Xbox 360 version. But luckily [really?], I got sidetracked with the Cyborg Mice web comic. A few months later, Apple announced the iPhone 4 with its high resolution Retina Display. Believe it or not, this actually would make the porting job a much easier task.
Zombie Outhouse Development Part 4: Porting to the iPhone with the Bork3D Engine
[Apologies for the long hiatus but I hope be back on track and am planning on weekly updates for this blog]
When it came time to port Zombie Outhouse to the iPhone, I looked at numerous options to help ease the process. After the dust settled, I decided on the Bork3D Engine. Some of the reasons were:
- It’s C++!!!!
- Low price ($49 for an indie license)
- Full Source Code
- Lightweight and clean