Zombie Outhouse Development Part 6: To the iPad and beyond!
[Just like a zombie, this blog is back from the dead. Apologies for the neglect. I got derailed a few times but am back on track. There will be a flurry of posts over the next few weeks to catch up on the backlog and then we’ll focus on an upcoming action rpg project.]
Soon after the iPad came out, I wanted to upgrade Zombie Outhouse to add native iPad support using the higher resolution art that was used in the Xbox 360 version. But luckily [really?], I got sidetracked with the Cyborg Mice web comic. A few months later, Apple announced the iPhone 4 with its high resolution Retina Display. Believe it or not, this actually would make the porting job a much easier task.
After searching for the non-existent official XBLIG badge, I decided to create my own. While Microsoft quickly released a set of badges for Windows Phone 7, there still isn’t an official one for XBLIG. 😦
So here is my attempt at one. Feel free to use it on your website, etc.
The Power of Game Balancing by Automating Benchmarking: 12,100 for the price of 1
While we haven’t officially announced our next game, it has been in the prototyping phase for the past few years and has been constantly evolving, devolving and mutating into completely different beasts. Here is a peek into the development process for our upcoming game.
Without giving away any details, we finally settled on a workable game mechanic and needed to test and balance the various powers in the game. I added a CPU vs CPU mode (just like there is in Street Fighter 4) which ran real time and most matches lasted about 5 minutes. This was great for one-offs but for it would take far too long to properly benchmark all the various powers against each other.
Zombie Outhouse Development Part 5: Creating the Zombie Outhouse Font
I wanted to have a unique font for Zombie Outhouse and after doing a little research, I decided to create my own. Here’s how I did it…
Step 1. The Zombie Outhouse font needed to have a messy splatter look so the first thing I did was to create a few test brushes in Illustrator and quickly settled on one. This is what it looks like:
Zombie Outhouse Development Part 4: Porting to the iPhone with the Bork3D Engine
[Apologies for the long hiatus but I hope be back on track and am planning on weekly updates for this blog]
When it came time to port Zombie Outhouse to the iPhone, I looked at numerous options to help ease the process. After the dust settled, I decided on the Bork3D Engine. Some of the reasons were:
- It’s C++!!!!
- Low price ($49 for an indie license)
- Full Source Code
- Lightweight and clean
Here is a video showcasing the new eye candy in the upcoming Cyborg Mice Arena 1.5 update for Xbox Live Indie Games:
Zombie Outhouse Development Part 3: Converting from C# to C++
While the official programming language for the iPhone is Objective-C, you can use C/C++ within it. I prefer to work in C++ and try to avoid Objective-C at all costs.